Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dining Solo


Every so often I have to eat out. These occasions are rare and far between for no other reason than that I don't enjoy them.

You walk into a restaurant and look around for for a table set for one. In your dreams! So you settle for a table set for two, hopefully in a corner. Of course everyone is watching and wondering....then the waiter comes up to you and asks if you want to order the immediately or wait for....You pretend you didn't hear the last part and ask for the menu. Since you have no one to talk to, unless there is a television screen, you idly watch the other diners who are trying hard not to stare your way as you wait for the food. Starring back doesn't help-I tried.

Now I carry a book and bury my nose in it till the food arrives and through the meal. Alternatively, I take some work with me and you would be amazed how much concentration I can put into it. Also, it offers a plausible reason for the solo dinner-work pressures.
I ask for and pay the bill when I am half way through, so I can flee once I am done eating.

Bottom line: Eating alone in a restaurant is depressing.

5 comments:

  1. Wow...can you keep more of this coming? Maybe u'll not dine alone next time after all! I looooove it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I think I kind of like it...but then again,I'm a certified loner

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ yz...you seem to be oblivious of the fact that you used to turn heads approximately 10 yrs ago. I'm pretty sure you still do or even much more! Don't make me come after you.....DISCLAIMER: The opinions above are not the thoughts of the......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linked here by yz. Not boring at all. Keep 'em coming, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are the pals? You should try going with em

    ReplyDelete